Friday, December 19, 2014

Decembers Past, Authentic Assessment, and Relaxation

In December of 1978, I finished the last final exam for the first semester of my senior year of college, jumped into my older model Mercury Capri, and headed south on a sixteen-hour trip out of Northern Indiana to my hometown in Central Kansas for the holidays.  Soon after all of our family celebrations and reunions, but well before the beginning of second semester, I made a life-changing decision.

As a result of the decision made on that December evening 36 years ago, I went to the only phone in our house and made a call.  At that time, the phone was firmly attached to the wall.  The one update was that my dad had replaced the short cord with one that stretched to fifteen feet.  (Phone 2.0!) For privacy, I walked across the hall into the spare room and closed the door, so I could call Lisa Herr back in Northern Indiana.  

1970 Mercury Capri
To be honest, I wasn’t honest.  I told her a little white lie and said I was going up to Hesston High School with some friends to watch the basketball game.  Instead of watching the HHS Swathers play, I loaded up the Capri, popped The Eagles Greatest Hits into the cassette player, and headed northeast out of town.

I cut cross country on dirt roads through the empty wheat fields outside of Hesston, picked up U.S. 50 to Emporia, reached Kansas City a few hours later, and headed due east toward St. Louis on Interstate 70.  In the middle of the night, I drove an almost empty highway past the brightly lit St. Louis Arch, took 465 around Indianapolis before the winter dawn, and reached Lisa’s house in Waterford by mid-morning.  I completed the trip that typically took 16-hours in considerably less time.

Later that same day, I asked a truly authentic assessment question.  After some confusion about whether or not I was serious, Lisa said, “Yes.” 

As a direct result of that decision, that drive, that question, and that answer, in these next two weeks, Lisa and I will have all nine of our children at home at one time or another over the break.  In addition, the older three will bring along their significant others.  And of course, one grandchild will arrive with the Nashville delegation.  She is certain to entertain and be entertained by her aunts, uncles, grammy, and grampy.

I intentionally left out quite a few details of this story—including the speeding ticket I picked up in Strong City, Kansas; how my future sister-in-law helped me surprise my future wife; and how the first words from Lisa when she heard “the question” weren’t quite what I expected. But those are other stories for other times.

I tell you this particular story partly because it is one I think about often around the end of December and partly because it might encourage you to remember events from your own Decembers gone by.  Mostly, however, I tell you this story because it is decidedly NOT about school, and that is important as well at this time of year.

Soon enough, January will roll around, and we will be busy and stressed once again.  We do have an exciting and challenging semester ahead, but for now, you deserve a break.  You have done great work this first semester.  I think especially of the important investment of time and energy from the ROAR Champions, all the new courses that you are putting in place for next year, all the experimentation with high-probability instructional practices, and the many new performance tasks and authentic assessments that are in regular use.

I hope this winter break that you find time to remember good events from this past semester and from previous years, that you create great memories with friends and family, and that you can forget, for at least a little while, all about school.

Please ease up on the Stress Button and hit the Relax Button as often as you can.  Thanks for all you do for your students and for the school, but for now, enjoy your time away.

Phil

No comments:

Post a Comment