Sunday, September 28, 2014

Say What?

Words are singularly the most powerful force available to humanity.  We can choose to use this force constructively with words of encouragement, or destructively using words of despair.  Words have energy and power with the ability to help, to heal, to hinder, to hurt, to harm, to humiliate and to humble. --Yehuda Berg

This week I would like to take a look at words through two different lenses.  The first one makes an argument about person-first language.  Choosing words carefully makes a statement about our mindset and about what we value.  The second section looks at communicating words and emotions in American Sign Language. 

I hope you find both the words and the visuals thought-provoking.


Person-First Language

The words we use and the way we use them are critically important.  My wife made this point in her newsletter to the Cumberland Road Elementary folks, so I “borrowed” a section of the newsletter. 

Lisa always makes sense to me.  See if her words resonate with you:

Am I autistic, or am I a person with autism? Am I homeless, or am I a person who is homeless? Am I learning disabled, or am I a person with a learning disability? Am I a failure, or am I failing?

How we use our words says a lot about our mindset.

If you look at the chart below, you will see that person-first language places the emphasis where it belongs.  “I am a person who is failing" is different than "I am a failure." Person-first language means that I—the person—am what is important. My situation or label is not what is most important about me.  Being a person first is.

As we think about our students and ourselves, using a growth mindset means we are in the process of growing. We might not be there (wherever that is) yet, but we are on the way.

Words are singularly the most powerful force available to humanity.  We can choose to use this force constructively with words of encouragement, or destructively using words of despair.  Words have energy and power with the ability to help, to heal, to hinder, to hurt, to harm, to humiliate and to humble. --Yehuda Berg


How Do You Say “Happy”?

Please take a few moments to watch this video made by campers who express their words using a different language but communicate quite effectively.  It will make you happy, and it might make you think again about how communication involves much more than simply words.


Choose your words and expressions carefully this week, HSE.  Keep the person first and make someone happy! It is, after all, how Royals promote respect, foster pride, and inspire excellence.

Phil

A few closing thoughts on the impact of words.

  • As we express our gratitude, we must never forget that the highest appreciation is not to utter words, but to live by them.  --J. F. Kennedy
  • No matter what people tell you, words and ideas can change the world.     --Robin Williams
  • Kindness in words creates confidence.  Kindness in thinking creates profoundness.  Kindness in giving creates love.      --Lao Tzu
  • Better than a thousand hollow words is one word that brings peace.            --Buddha

No comments:

Post a Comment