Friday, September 5, 2014

Fishin' in the Dark

OI found myself in a bit of funk this week.  I’m not particularly fond of the feeling, so I decided to do something about it.  I started by brewing up some good Sumatra coffee, but that wasn’t quite what I needed—although it wasn’t a bad start.


Since caffeine didn’t do the trick, I gave myself permission to take ten minutes to conduct a search for “something fun.”  I wasn’t sure what that might be, but I began by turning on Pandora to Nitty Gritty Dirt Band Radio.  A little bluegrass music takes me back to my Kansas roots and reminds me of going to the Winfield Flatpicking Festival when I was in college.  Below is a picture of The Dirt Band as I remember them from their concert in Wichita in 1977.  Yep, that’s how we looked.

NGDB Cover Art
Between the bluegrass and dark coffee, I was on the right track but wasn’t quite there yet.  In a fortuitous turn of events, a friend of my wife sent her a link to “Jokes So Terrible They’re Actually Funny.”  She passed them on to me at the right time.  Additionally, a friend stuck her head in my office to say “hi” and check in.

My search for fun came to a screeching halt.  I now had the perfect storm of positivity going: good coffee, Doc Watson playing his guitar as only he can, a kind word of encouragement, and some really bad jokes.  Actually, some of the jokes made me chuckle; some made me groan.  I can’t explain the science of how laughter helps, but somehow it does.

If you find yourself needing a little laughter, see what you think of these “Terrible Jokes” that come from a website called Geekfill.  (I have no idea what else is on the site, so don’t blame me if you go looking.)  

  • Two antennas met on a roof, fell in love, and got married. The ceremony wasn’t much, but the reception was excellent.
  • A jumper cable walks into a bar, the bartender says, “I’ll serve you, but don’t start anything.”
  • A man with dyslexia walks into a bra….
  • Two cannibals are eating a clown.  One says to the other, “Does this taste funny to you?”
  • An invisible man marries an invisible woman.  The kids were nothing to look at either.
  • Deja Moo: The feeling that you’ve heard this bull before.
  • I went to buy some camouflage trousers the other day, but I couldn’t find any.
  • I went to a seafood disco last week….and pulled a mussel.
  • What do you call a fish with no eyes?  A fsh
  • Two fish swim into a concrete wall.  The one turns to the other and says, “Dam!”
  • Two men sitting in a kayak were chilly, so they lit a fire in the craft.  Unsurprisingly, it sank, proving once again that you can’t have your kayak and heat it, too.
  • Finally, there was a person who sent twenty different puns to his friends, with the hope that at least ten of the puns would make them laugh.  No pun in ten did.

Let me know if you have any others I can add to my collection.  If I get enough, I might be able to post a selection of HSE Terrible Jokes If the joke makes you chuckle, groan, snort, or smile, pass it along.

I hope your week is a great one, HSE.  Find time to laugh or make someone else laugh.  Add a word of kindness and encouragement if you can.  At the very least, give and get a smile from the people you meet today.

Phil

By the way, The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band is still around.  Check out their current look.


Promotional Photo

For those of you who have never heard The Dirt Band, enjoy this You Tube video and then feel free to make fun of me for being such a nerd: Fishin' in the Dark.  (Bonus: Notice how their pronunciation of creek rhymes with trick.  Now that takes me back home….)

No comments:

Post a Comment