Friday, March 13, 2015

Powerless Point

I had one of those head-slap eureka experiences this week.  I could have been in a commercial for V8 or imitating Homer Simpson’s “D’oh.”   I read something and it dawned on me I was going about things in the wrong way.  In fact, I was spectacularly wrong, but I didn’t fully recognize the problem until the head-slap.

I had good intentions, and I even thought I was being helpful.  Unfortunately, you experienced my error because I did it to you!  I’m not sure exactly how to move forward.  I have some ideas of how to get better, but it will be a work in progress.

Let me illustrate my mistake:


This is a PowerPoint slide I used last September in a PD session.  If the research is correct, you probably do not remember the exact content of my presentation, but you probably do remember doing the Marshmallow Challenge during the session in which it was used.  Before going any further, think back and see if this is right.  Do you remember the topic of this PowerPoint presentation?  (Hint: It wasn’t UbD.) Now, do you remember the Marshmallow Challenge?


Typical PowerPoint Presentations

My head-slap moment came while reading an article in an EdSurge Newsletter entitled, “Why Your Students Forgot Everything on Your PowerPoint Slides.”  This incredibly long title also serves as a synopsis.  If the author, Mary Jo Madda, is right—and she cites lots of research to support her claims—I have not used the power of PowerPoints well.  In fact, my approach may have contributed to confusion rather than clarification.

Madda says our brains can only process a limited amount of information at any one time.  Like our computers, our brains have limited working memory.  In danger of mixing a metaphor, Madda says putting information in our brains is like filling a bucket with rocks.  The more complex the task and information, the more “rocks” are thrown into the bucket.  When our brains are overloaded, similar to a computer running out of working memory, everything slows down and pieces are lost completely.  Adding multiple modes of processing is like opening up another software program when the computer’s working memory is already maxed out.  It adds to the cognitive overload. 

That is what often happens with PowerPoint presentations.  Our students have difficulty reading, listening, taking notes, and processing information simultaneously.  Our mode of presentation can add stress to already strained working memory.  Madda writes about the Redundancy Effect: “The duplicate information—spoken and written—doesn’t reinforce one another; instead, the two effectively flood students’ ability to handle the information.”

I read that line and slapped my forehead.  I do this all the time.  I put up a slide full of words.  I know I shouldn’t read the text because that irritates me to no end when I am in the audience.  But I do talk about what’s in the text.  What this does, according to Madda, is put people in the audience in a difficult position.  They try to read the text, listen to me, and filter through the information to find key points all at the same time.  Our brains don’t work this way. 

If we are reading, we can’t listen fully.  If we are processing information, we can’t listen or read for comprehension.  If we are listening, we might “see” the words, but we won’t “understand” the content.  We are merely word-calling and not attaching meaning.  Our working memory becomes overloaded.  The result is the opposite of the intention.

So I’m guilty as charged—and you may be as well.

Other Options:

Fortunately, Madda does offer some research-based options for what to do when using a PowerPoint.  Her suggestions:
  • Eliminate Textual Elements: Instead of words, use visuals and talk through the points you want to make.  This allows students to focus on one mode of presentation and provides a visual cue for later recall.
  • Use Words as Visuals: If you have to use words, try limiting yourself to one or two words per slide.  The key words become a visual cue, as opposed to being lost in all of the other text on the slide.  For example, this slide from the same presentation might be a more effective approach:


  • Use Text; Stop Talking: If you include a slide with lots of text.  Stop talking, and let your students read and process the information.  This one is especially hard for me, and I suspect it might be for you as well.  Students need time to read and process.  The required time varies for each student.  It is hard for us as the experts in the content area to remember how difficult reading and comprehending new material might be for beginning learners.  You need to give more time than might feel comfortable. 
  • Build in Processing Time: Class time is precious.  Content is extensive.  The pressure to rush can be our enemy.  If we don’t build in time for students to process the information as we go, they will not make the connections required to retain the learning.   There are lots of ways to build in this processing time.  For example, have the students quietly write a short reflection, pair and share, talk to others at table group, formulate one important question, summarize the content with one word or one sentence, draw a visual reminder, or put notes into their own words.  Ironically, you must slow down in order to speed up!

No question about it.  I was wrong.  I need to change my approach.  One of the reasons I’m writing this today is so you can hold me accountable.  If I put up slides full of text and don’t follow best practice, you have permission to call me on it. 

More importantly, I want your help in a different way as well.  Do you have a favorite PowerPoint presentation that follows best practice according to Madda?  Do you have ideas for how to provide processing time in the middle of a presentation?  Do you have alternatives to PowerPoint presentations that you find effective?  If so, please send me your examples.  If possible, include a screen shot and short explanation.  I would love to learn from what works well for you. 

By the way, the topic of the PD session referenced at the beginning of this entry was about creating and using authentic assessments.  How much of that presentation do you remember?  I rest my case.  D’oh!

Have a great week, HSE. 


Phil

This picture of my desk reminds me of one of my goals:

No comments:

Post a Comment