Friday, February 13, 2015

It Is What It Is

It is what it is.  I’ve written before that I find myself saying this old truism often, and this past week more so than ever.  Open the Indianapolis Star, turn on the radio, or watch the evening news, and I guarantee you will see and hear another round of the ongoing skirmishes between Governor Pence and Glenda Ritz.


This week while I was working with a great group of HSE junior high teachers, I was asked for my opinion about the testing brouhaha.  That can be a dangerous question in this political climate.  My response may at first seem flippant, but it is not.  I told them, “It is what it is.”

Early in my administrative career, a very wise man advised me to focus my efforts and energies on those things I could control and influence and not to waste much of my time and effort on those things over which I have no control.


Whether we like it or not, we don’t have much control or influence over what is taking place downtown.  Certainly, we can and should write letters, contact legislators, and vote wisely.  As you know, these actions have some influence, but battle lines are so firmly set, that we are not likely to change hearts and minds in the next few weeks and months.

That doesn’t mean, however, that we are powerless and have no options.  There are things that we do control, and I suggest we focus on these.  None of this is new, but sometimes a little reminder is helpful:

  • Take care of our students.  Students are often used as pawns in these political battles, with each side claiming to be acting in students’ best interest.  In theory, that sounds great.  In practice, many of our students feel the pressures being placed on them.  We are on the front line daily.  We interact with students daily.  We are in the best position to know our students’ needs and to help our students.  Our students should continue to be our primary focus.
  • Take care of each other.  In political battles taking place at the state and national level, teachers and public schools are often blamed and disparaged.  It is all too easy to take the attacks personally and to become discouraged.  We need to name this reality and make sure we are aware of those around us who need extra support.  Some days you can provide the support, and some days you will need support.  If we don’t give it to each other, who will?  There is no better help than that given by someone in the trenches with us day in and day out.
  • Take care of yourself.  I don’t know how you find ways to care for yourself.  Personally, I know there are times I need laughter, and I need to do something completely away from school. More often, I simply need to remind myself of another of our family sayings: “You get what you get, and you don’t throw a fit.”  It is a way of telling myself, “This is the world we live in.  It has lots of good, but sometimes it stinks.  Get over it, and do the best you can.”  For a while, we heard a lot of hype about the Seattle Fish Market and the FISH Philosophy.  I don’t remember all the details, but I do know one part was Choose Your Attitude.  I believe this to be true: We do have control of our attitude.  Some days I need to choose more consciously and more wisely.  If this doesn't work for you, I hope you find an approach that does.


The bottom line is that high-stakes testing in Indiana is in disarray.  Another reality is that as educators we are not independent contractors.  We are paid to do the best job we can and follow the guidelines coming to us—even when they are confusing or even contradictory.  So we will do that, and we will do it professionally and thoughtfully.  While we are at it, we will also take care of our students, take care of each other, and take care of ourselves because at HSE and across the state, we are educators.  And this is what we do.

Keep fighting the good fight, HSE. 


Phil

No comments:

Post a Comment