Friday, May 23, 2014

Trees, Teaching, and Hope

Since this is the last “From B106” for this school year, I would like to end with a few thoughts about hope.

There is something inherently hopeful in the act of planting a tree.  I thought about this last week when Lisa and I picked out a Bruns Serbian Spruce and planted it in our yard.  We dug the hole, amended the soil, and spread the mulch.  We will provide water occasionally, but with a tree like this, our work is basically done. 

When I plant trees, I am reminded of a story from the Talmud that I heard long ago:

The righteous man Honi once encountered a man planting a carob tree.  “How long will it take to bear fruit?” he inquired. 

“About seventy years,” the man replied. 

“So, do you think you will live long enough to taste its fruits?”

The man explained, “I have found ready-grown carob trees in the world.  As my forefathers planted them for me, so I plant for my children.”

I did a little research and discovered that a spruce tree like the one we planted can live up to 200 years.  We plan to enjoy the beauty of this small tree for a while.  Obviously, we will never see it fully grown.  I tell this story because I was struck by the similarity to our work here at HSE.

We have prepared our students the best we can for what will follow once they leave the halls of HSE, but we are not likely see the end results.  Planting a tree and teaching are both inherently acts of hope.

Warren Buffet wrote, “I am sitting in the shade today because someone planted a tree a long time ago.”  Mr. Buffett knows a bit about money, but he apparently understands the importance of looking at the long view as well.  (Maybe those are related topics.)

My hope for you is that you have a great summer.  Find time to rest, relax, and rejuvenate.  Sit in the shade of an old tree when you get a chance—and perhaps think about the person who planted it many years ago.  When you do so, take heart that the seeds you are planting here at HSE will also take root and grow.  You may never see the final results, but the world will be better for your efforts.

Have a great week and an even better summer break.  It’s a great season to be a Royal.

Phil

A few ending thoughts:
  •    “There is no pleasure in having nothing to do; the fun is having lots to do and not doing it.”  --Andrew Jackson
  • “We will be more successful in all our endeavors if we can let go of the habit of running all the time, and take little pauses to relax and re-center ourselves.  And we’ll also have a lot more joy in living.”  --Thich Nhat Hanh
  • “Just play.  Have fun.  Enjoy the game.”  --Michael Jordan

No comments:

Post a Comment