Friday, January 17, 2014

Reflections on 1968

In the summer of 1967, our family moved from the Midwest to Winston-Salem, North Carolina.  My father finished up his Master’s degree in pastoral counseling, my mother worked the night shift at a local hospital, and I attended segregated Dalton Elementary School as a fifth grader.

I have vivid memories from that year in Winston-Salem.  One is of the pervasive smell of the city, the home of R. J. Reynolds.  As suggested by the city’s name and nickname, R. J. Reynolds produced Winston, Salem, and Camel cigarettes—maybe they still do.  In the morning, I could step outside our apartment door, and every breath took in the smell of unprocessed tobacco.  The broad leaves would soon be turned into cigarettes, and their smell was sweet and rich, similar to honeysuckle.  It permeated the city before the morning winds blew it away.  Every Saturday we also visited the first Krispy Kreme donut shops, which got their start in “Camel City.”  Dad would load us up to get the kids out of the house, so Mom could sleep.  (The ladies at Krispy Kreme thought he was a single father and gave royal treatment.)

Less pleasant are the memories of Winston-Salem associated with issues of race.  This was when I first became race conscious.  Like most families, we have our internal oral histories that we repeat often when we get together.  From that year we tell stories of my mother’s ostracization at the hospital for providing equal care to all patients, regardless of race or religion.  She found herself eating her midnight “lunch” during the night shift alone and isolated.  My brother, who was in junior high, was targeted for harassment, but responded with maturity beyond his years.  As for me, I had my nose bloodied by two older boys who lived in our complex because our family had black friends over for supper.  I responded with less maturity than my brother.

That school year was also the year my elementary school was shut down on April 4, 1968, after the shooting of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.  Winston-Salem, still reeling from the riots in the fall of 1967, shut schools down schools as soon as they learned of Dr. King’s death.  We were released mid-day at Dalton Elementary, and our family stayed home the following days, watching Walter Cronkite and other reporters keep us up to date on what was taking place around the nation and across town.

Every year as MLK Day rolls around, I tend to think back to Winston-Salem.  As a father of a somewhat unique family, I find the day to be a good reminder that we have not arrived, but rather are on a journey.  My wife told me when we were dating that she wanted a large diverse family.  She wasn’t kidding!  Our nine kids make us look a little different than most.  We are white, black, and Asian.  We are both gay and straight.  We have hearing and deaf in our house, and we have the full range of academic abilities, from gifted to those who struggle academically.

For many reasons I am thankful for Dr. King’s pioneering work.  I am also thankful for less famous pioneers, such as my wife, father, mother, and brother.  I add teachers to this list as well, including many of you reading this email.  Lisa and I have experienced in our own lives and through the lives of our children acts of kindness and courage from teachers who will never receive national attention, but they are no less important to us and our children.

This I believe: For most of us, living up to Dr. King’s dream and continuing the journey is not about major initiatives, events, or actions.  It is not about one special day.  Rather, this journey is filled with countless individual acts and interactions carried out on a daily basis by people just like you and me, going about the daily business of doing our jobs and being intentional about treating people, all people, with respect and dignity.  

Thank you, HSE, for all you do to continue the journey by making every student feel included, valued, and loved.

Keep fighting the good fight.


Phil

No comments:

Post a Comment