Sunday, August 19, 2012

Introduction to HSEHS


I’m sitting in my office, surrounded by an interesting and slightly disconcerting combination of familiar and new.  In the former category are the old schoolhouse clock, the pictures of my wife and family, and my favorite books.   In the latter are this computer I’m using to write, nice windows with a view of sky (which I did not have in my previous office), and the Hamilton Southeastern High School sign on the wall by the door.

In administration, there is a quiet time that I have experienced once before.  It is the time of being new and not knowing quite what is expected or what I should do.  This is a deceptive time, the lull before the storm.  Soon the pace will pick up, and we will start the “new normal.”  Until then, I am in a time of questioning, of wondering what will come and how to fit in and make a contribution.

You may have some of the same feelings about a new assistant principal.  If you come into my office, you will see a slightly disconcerting combination of familiar and new, and you may wonder about what is to come and how you will interact with the new guy.  This questioning is certainly intensified by the changes coming this year in the teacher evaluation process and the uncertainties associated with the unknown.

My intention with this email is to start the process of learning to know each other and make a smooth transition to the new normal.  Therefore, I have listed below, in no particular order of importance, information about me:

·         I was a classroom English teacher for 21 years.  I taught middle school in Puerto Rico and Kansas and high school in Indiana, and still think of myself as a teacher.
·         For the past 11 years, I was an assistant principal at Goshen High School, working primarily with curriculum and instruction.
·         My wife is an elementary principal as well—and the best person and educator I know.  My dad always told me to “marry up.”  I took his advice.
·         We married right out of college and have nine children.  Two will be HSE students this fall.
·         I come from a family of educators: one of my grandparents, both parents, and both siblings are teachers/professors.
·         When I was a child, I went to a different elementary school every year until I reached sixth grade.  Until later in life, I thought this was typical. My family settled in Kansas, and I’m still a Jayhawk fan.
·         I am also a fan of Carol Dweck and will talk to you about fixed and growth mindsets.  Her work helps clarify my thinking as an educator and as a father.
·         Professionally, Robert Marzano makes complete sense to me, as does Thomas Guskey, Ken O’Conner, Doug Lemov, Harvey Daniels, Marvin Marshall, and Jim Burke.
·         The best book I read for fun this summer was by Elizabeth George.  But she left me hanging, so now I need to wait for the next book in the series.
·         As for TV, our oldest daughter got us hooked on the PBS modern version of Sherlock Holmes.  (There are so few shows in the series, we are watching them judiciously.)  On radio, my favorite is StoryCorps on NPR.  Full disclosure: I also have several buttons tuned to country music stations.
·         I am learning American Sign Language and making some progress, but I’m not there—yet.
·         Almost all my heroes are teachers.  They change the world one student at a time.
I hope this helps.  Please stop by and introduce yourself.  Tell me what you think I should know about HSE and the town of Fishers. Tell me how I can help you help students.  Tell me not to write long emails that take too much of your time.  Tell me what you think I should know about you.

It is good to be here, and I look forward to working with you in the coming months and years to make HSE an even better place for our students.

Phil Lederach, the new guy in B106